Build error on Ubuntu 16.04 - npm install serialport

I’m recieving a build error and failure to install when following the build steps in the wizkers.io documetation. It’s failing at the step when I need to install serialport.

I would like to get some help on how to resolve the build error, so I can finish the developer installation on Ubuntu 16.04.

Setup:

Ubuntu 16.04
Node.JS v6.9.4
wizkers.git is origin/master

Most Recent Commit:

commit fa398a63cc2f11705bc6bce1ced2572edce6cd3a
Author: elafargue ed@wizkers.io

udev/rules.d/ file created and udev restarted (per developer notes)

Steps:

git clone https://github.com/wizkers/wizkers.git (ok)
cd wizkers/wizkers (ok)
sudo npm install -g gulp-cli (ok)
npm install

• fails at this step on serialport@2.0.6 install

Here’s the final part of the npm log file, showing the failure to build serialport:

npm ERR! Linux 4.4.0-59-generic
npm ERR! argv “/usr/bin/nodejs” “/usr/bin/npm” "install"
npm ERR! node v6.9.4
npm ERR! npm v3.10.10
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE

npm ERR! serialport@2.0.6 install: node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the serialport@2.0.6 install script ‘node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build’.
npm ERR! Make sure you have the latest version of node.js and npm installed.
npm ERR! If you do, this is most likely a problem with the serialport package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR! node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build
npm ERR! You can get information on how to open an issue for this project with:
npm ERR! npm bugs serialport
npm ERR! Or if that isn’t available, you can get their info via:
npm ERR! npm owner ls serialport
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR! /home/dfannin/src/ham/wizkers/wizkers/npm-debug.log

I can provide the full log file if needed.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to resolve?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the report - what kind of computer are you using? RPi, laptop, other ?

I will try to reproduce - you can probably use the --verbose switch on npm install to see exactly where/why the build of serialport fails, that would be useful.

Dave, check out: https://github.com/EmergingTechnologyAdvisors/node-serialport#platform-support

-> You will need to play with the version of serialport (in package.json) to get one that is compatible with yoru version of Node

Ok, setting the serialport version to 4.0.7 in package.json resulted in a successful build, so thats progress.

I then ran the radio/server build, and did a start_server.sh.

the server came up successfully, and I configured it for an 857d radio.

However, when I attempted to connect to the radio (clicked on “connect to 857d”), the sever crashed with the following error message:
wizkers:server:socket admin connected +14ms
** wizkers:server Updated userinfo role to admin +6ms**
** wizkers:server:socket We are switching to a new instrument ID: BF2E0FF8-9E9C-A477-996E-56EFF3BACF07 +172ms**
** wizkers:server:socket Controller command: [object Object] +0ms**
** wizkers:server:socket Controller command: [object Object] +13s**
** wizkers:server:socket Controller command: [object Object] +5s**
** wizkers:server:socket Request for a list of serial ports +10s**
** wizkers:routes:logs Retrieving Logs for Instrument ID: BF2E0FF8-9E9C-A477-996E-56EFF3BACF07 +3s**
** wizkers:server:socket Instrument close request for instrument ID BF2E0FF8-9E9C-A477-996E-56EFF3BACF07 +2s**
** wizkers:routes:instruments Deleting instrument: BF2E0FF8-9E9C-A477-996E-56EFF3BACF07 +10ms**
** wizkers:routes:settings Updating settings. +1s**
** wizkers:server:socket We are switching to a new instrument ID: BBC79F54-D665-D76B-BBB6-3BCCBBE6BAC3 +23ms**
** wizkers:server:socket Controller command: [object Object] +58ms**
** wizkers:routes:instruments Updating instrument: BBC79F54-D665-D76B-BBB6-3BCCBBE6BAC3 +2ms**
** wizkers:server:socket Request for a list of serial ports +4s**
** wizkers:routes:instruments Updating instrument: BBC79F54-D665-D76B-BBB6-3BCCBBE6BAC3 +2m**
** wizkers:server:socket Controller command: [object Object] +167ms**
** wizkers:server Open instrument request from front-end for BBC79F54-D665-D76B-BBB6-3BCCBBE6BAC3 +3s**
** wizkers:connectionmanager Instrument open request for instrument ID BBC79F54-D665-D76B-BBB6-3BCCBBE6BAC3 +1ms**
** wizkers:connectionmanager Instrument is opening +4ms**
** wizkers:output Retrieving Outputs for Instrument ID: BBC79F54-D665-D76B-BBB6-3BCCBBE6BAC3 +1ms**
** wizkers:connections:serial Opening serial device at /dev/ttyUSB2 +3ms**
/home/dfannin/src/ham/wizkers/wizkers/wizkers/node_modules/serialport/lib/serialport.js:79
** throw new TypeError(’openImmediately is now called autoOpen and is a property of options’);**
** ^**

TypeError: openImmediately is now called autoOpen and is a property of options
** at new SerialPort (/home/dfannin/src/ham/wizkers/wizkers/wizkers/node_modules/serialport/lib/serialport.js:79:11)**
** at SerialConnection.open (/home/dfannin/src/ham/wizkers/wizkers/wizkers/dist/server/connections/serial.js:64:18)**
** at /home/dfannin/src/ham/wizkers/wizkers/wizkers/dist/server/www/js/app/instruments/yaesu_817nd/driver_backend.js:399:22**
** at /home/dfannin/src/ham/wizkers/wizkers/wizkers/node_modules/pouchdb/lib/index.js:119:11**
** at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:67:7)**
** at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:98:9)**

so it appears that the serialport@4.0.7 interface has changed from the 2.0 version, which breaks the server.

I’ll try some other versions of serialport to see if I can get beyond this issue.

thanks again for your help,

Dave KK6DF

I am making progress - I’ll release an update to the Wizkers source in a couple of hours which should fix all the build issues, watch this thread!
Ed

OK, just pushed the latest code to github - and tried a build on a Raspberry Pi with success.

Use the git pull command to retrieve the latest code from github, and re-run npm install. Let me know how it goes!

Ed