Wizkers:Radio 0.2.0 with KX2 support released

… we’re on a roll!

Version 0.2.0 is just released, with KX2 support - one big caveat here: since we do not have access to an actual KX2 unit, we couldn’t test things work as intended, but the KX3 and KX2 are very very close cousins, so it should be fine.

KX2 owners, please test and report!

In this version KX2 configuration/memory edit is not enabled yet, and the VFO button is not rotating either. Yet. But all the rig control features are there.

Get it on Google PlayGet it on the Chrome app store

Thanks for doing this, my new KX2 appreciates it very much.
This is on a Mac:
Almost there, CAT seems to be working well
Sound works because i am able to QSO successfully in FLdigi, WSJTX
(connection via a griffin Mic)

wizkers connects up to the KX2 fine, CAT both ways seems to be communicating.
When i loose focus to the Wizkers window , i get an Error saying “Port error: driver triggered an error, trying to recover”. Ed, i sent you detailed screenshots.

I had only about 10 minutes to play before leaving for work. Happy to work with you to debug further, screen share via WebEX, Skype if need etc.

Wondering how others are making out with Wizkers/KX2 – I suspect this is a Mac only problem.

73 de kc1ccr

Thanks @kc1ccr! great feedback. And I did get your email.

The port error when the window loses its focus is a first - I use Wizkers:Radio on a Macbook with no issue, so that’s a bit strange. If you have access to another computer, can you try with that one and see if the behavior is the same? Also, make sure your Chrome version is up to date, but that’s usually automatic.

Thanks for the offer to do a screenshare - this week-end is going to be hectic, no time for coding for once… but I should be available on Monday if you are, I’ll contact you separately!

73 de ed w6ela

ed,
Just got a chance, hooked up the kx2 to a windows 10 desktop, chrome/wizkers:radio and it seems to do well, don’t see the error that i was seeing on my Macbook Air. Will test more extensively. Then try another Macbook to see if i can re-produce the problem i am seeing on my Macbook Air.

73 de kc1ccr

ed,
Solved the mystery on the macbook air too: if i enter the sound card in the configuration the error i was seeing goes away. The rig control seems to be fine. On the device monitoring, power and PA temp seem to be fine, Showing nothing for the supply current/volts. Will be great to also see Amp-hours for the KX2 in addition to V and I in the Supply graph. BTW is says KX3 on the power output graph label. Is it supposed to show something for reflected power?

I guess the biggest constraint right now is not being able to operate either of the VFO’s for freq change or VFO-B for the various selection function beyond VFO-B Frequency. Didnt try Data at all.

Memory: Suggestion, why not populate them from the 4 quick memories/band instead, and then have additional cards if the user wants them.

thanks for your efforts, looking forward to this evolving. I have the piglet, have not tried it with that yet.

73 de kc1ccr

Ed,
Any progress on the KX2

73 de kc1ccr

Hi! Yes, working in the background, expect a new release over the weekend :smiley:

By the way, can you qualify more precisely:

I guess the biggest constraint right now is not being able to operate either of the VFO’s for freq change or VFO-B for the various selection function beyond VFO-B Frequency

There is a VFOA and VFOB numeric field on the interface, can you confirm these work as intended? My understanding from your quote above is that the knobs on the KX2 front panel don’t work, am I correct ?

Yes, exactly correct, its the 2 VFO knobs that dont work. They are important for many functions befond frequency setting, like menu, band changing etc.

73 de kc1ccr

ok, got it. In the mean time, can you confirm that the direct entry fields work? The “VFO A” and “VFO B” fields below the KX2 front panel (or on the right if the screen is large enough).

Thanks ED,
Can confirm that the direct entry VFO A and VFO B work just fine, so do the AF, RF, Mic, BW, CT sliders in that group of controls.

73 de kc1ccr

Trying to connect to a KX2 from a Samsung Tab 4 using USB to OTG and standard Elecraft USB to ACC cable. App says it is Connected, the red light in the Elecraft adapter is blinking, but there is no communication between the app and the radio. For instance the Radio Front Panel in Wizkers does not show the frequency the KX2 is tuned to. My sense is there may be something going on re: serial data rates. I know where to chose and select these in the KX2, but don’t on the Tab. Any ideas anyone? de Scott/K7ZO

Hi Scott - Wizkers:Radio assumes the radio is setup for 38400 baud, can you check your KX2 is using this baud rate? Let us know if this fixes the issue for you…

That was it – and was actually trying all possible combinations, like I should have. Now off to play around with it. Will post findings. Anything you want me to check out? de Scott/K7ZO

Great, glad to hear you solved it!

Well, if you can confirm the controls work fine for the KX2, that would be great. There is also a brand new version fo Wizkers:Radio making its way to the app stores as I type this, where you’ll get advanced audio settings. If you can confirm those work OK, that would be excellent - I don’t own a KX2 and though it is very similar to the KX3, there might be small differences that break the implementation which I might not be aware of…

Hi…i am a new user here. In my case if i enter the sound card in the configuration the error i was seeing goes away. The rig control seems to be fine. On the device monitoring, power and PA temp seem to be fine, Showing nothing for the supply current/volts. Will be great to also see Amp-hours for the KX2 in addition to V and I in the Supply graph.

bga board